Frequently Asked Questions


What kind of professional and educational qualifications do I need?

Minimum educational requirements vary according to the position. Generally:

  • All non-graduate positions (assistant-level/function groups II, III) require (at least) that you have completed secondary education;
  • All graduate positions (administrator-level/function group IV) require at least that you have completed university education (of three years);

Relevant work experience may be required in some cases.


Is there support for relocation?

Once you receive a job offer, the Welcome Offices in Brussels and Luxembourg will help you find your way and settle in. In particular, they can help you find accommodation (including vetting your rental contract). Information Days are regularly organised to help partners settle into life in the new country. Both Brussels and Luxembourg offer excellent national, European and international schools.


Can I work in a country other Brussels or Luxembourg?

The European Commission has representations in every EU country. The European Parliament also has an information office in every EU country and the European External Action Service has delegations in locations around the world.

The EU also has several agencies and decentralised bodies based in different countries.


What is a 'reserve list'?

Applicants who pass a competition for permanent officials are placed on a reserve list from which the institutions draw recruits as and when they need them. The competition, then, is not to fill a specific post, but to constitute a reserve pool for recruitment needs as they arise.

If you are one of the highest-scoring applicants in the assessment phase, you will be placed on the reserve list. This means you may be selected for a job interview at one of the EU institutions. Reserve lists for generalist competitions are valid for 1 year. For other profiles, they are valid for longer.