The chapel dedicated to Christ the Redeemer in Ħal Għaxaq is going to be restored by the Restoration Directorate, which falls within the Ministry for Justice, Culture and Local Government.
"This chapel will be restored thanks to the Local Council Restoration Works Scheme, as we have recently launched the 5th call for applications for this scheme. Our commitment towards local heritage is manifested in such initiatives, as we endeavour to strengthen our tangible heritage through restoration and interventions of historic monuments and sites. Our localities are full of the latter, and through these projects, we are dedicated to enhance our cultural product," said Minister for Justice, Culture and Local Government Owen Bonnici during the visit.
Dirt and black crust have accumulated in areas not washed by rain and deterioration in the stone surface is present in all parts of the façade, mainly on the southern one, biological growth is also affecting the façades. The parvis on the other hand has experienced considerable erosion of the surface fabric.
The following works are being suggested to be carried out during this intervention on the facades and parvis: cleaning will be done by using very light dry brushing. The plaster will be removed, and reconstitution of damaged stone where possible will be done, whereby plastic repair using hydraulic lime-based mix will be used. Open joints will be cleaned and pointed. Sculptural and decorative stonework where missing or heavily deteriorated will be replaced using appropriate templates.
The chapel was built in 1852 on the site of a wayside shrine dedicated to Christ the Redeemer erected in 1807. The chapel was built through donations given by the inhabitants of Ħal Għaxaq as well as by benefactors residing outside the village. The chapel was designed by Francesco Carabott a Capo Mastro from Żejtun. The chapel has two belfries and a dome and is has a baroque style.