Buying or Renting in Malta? Related Topics

Schemes and Services

Whether you’re buying or renting, there are various schemes and services that could help you financially. These include a Redemption of Ground Rent Scheme, a Grant to Assist Owners in the Completion / Construction / Rehabilitation of their First Home (which includes various schemes for First Time Buyers), and a Rent Subsidy in Private Rented Residences.  For a full list of available schemes kindly click here.

Transfer of Property

If you a purchasing a property, then you will likely need to transfer the property and plan ownership into your name. To do this, you will need to visit the Land Registry. For further information and to download the relevant forms, kindly click here.


Whether you are creating plans from scratch or simply planning to make changes to your existing property, you will need to consult the Malta Environment and Planning Authority (MEPA). You will find various resources on the MEPA site here, including a list of Planning Application Forms, Planning FAQs and Fee Calculation Guidelines.

Energy Performance Certificate 

An EPC is similar to a household electrical appliance energy label. The EPC has two scale bars showing the rating of your building and its carbon emissions, with zero being the most energy efficient and the other extreme being the least efficient.

EPCs became compulsory for all dwellings being sold or rented or as from 02/01/2009. An EPC is also required for those dwellings that request MEPA development permission to be newly constructed or undergo a change of use from 02/01/2009.

If you are buying or renting a new house or apartment now, you are entitled to be provided with an EPC by the seller/landlord or his/her agent for the dwelling in question. An EPC must be carried out by an independent EPC assessors who is registered with the MRA.

To find out more kindly click here. 

Change of Address Notification in Malta

If you’re moving house, then you will need to inform various entities and individuals of your new address in Malta. The online Electronic Changes of Address System (ECA) does this in a simple an effective way, informing both private and public sector organisations. To use this service, click here.

Registration of Administrators

If you are moving into a building with shared common parts, you will need to register the administrators of the buildings, as well as the rules stipulated by them. For details and the relevant forms, kindly click here.