Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content




Local elections
If you are an EU citizen living in Malta, you are automatically eligible to vote in local elections once you apply for
your EU residence permit (or had previously applied for an ID card).
European Parliament elections
If you are an EU citizen living in Malta and you want to vote in the EU Parliament elections you will be given that choice. When you apply for your residence permit, you are provided with a special form in which you need to state that you want to vote in Malta. Alternatively you can opt to remain on the electoral register in your home member state.
   How do I vote in the EP elections?
You can vote if you are listed on the Electoral Register (the last one published before the date fixed for the election) or the European Union Electoral Register, provided that you have not been convicted of any offence connected with the election of members to the House of Representatives, with the election of members of Local Councils, or with the election of members to the European Parliament.
   Can I vote from home?
No, you cannot vote in your home country’s elections if you are abroad.
   Do I have to vote?
No, voting in local council/EU Parliament elections is not compulsory for everybody on the electoral roll.
The rules are all laid out in Chapter 467 of the European Parliament Elections Act. These rules apply to both Maltese and EU citizens.
   How do I let the country know I wish to vote there?
It is important to note you can only vote once in the EP elections. So if you are an EU citizen living in a foreign country and you want to vote for the EU Parliament elections you can choose in which country you want to vote.
When you register to vote, you will need to specify in which country you will be voting. The country you have chosen will then be informed accordingly by the Electoral Commission.  You don’t need to do anything yourself.
MEP candidates
   Who can register?
If you want to register as an MEP candidate, you need to register with a Maltese address. If you are a registered voter on the Electoral Register or the European Union Electoral Register then you are eligible to contest in a maximum of one locality. There are sometimes restrictions applied to public officers; these are published in the Public Service Management Code.
If you are a foreign EU citizen standing for election you will need to declare that you are not standing for election in any other country, and that you are not disqualified from standing. This is done when you apply to stand as a candidate (as per article 14 of the EU Parliament Act).
You can find the list of criteria and conditions you need to satisfy in order to stand as a candidate in the EU Parliament elections in Chapter 467 of the EU Parliament Act.
Can I stand for elections in Malta even though I live abroad?
Yes but you need to register in Malta first. The application for candidacy can be sent by power of attorney i.e. this is handed on his/her behalf by someone in Malta. A three-day period to hand in nomination as specified in the electoral laws applies. There are no formalities you need to go through if you are standing for home elections while abroad.
Who cannot register?
The following people cannot register to stand as MEP candidates:
         Members of the House of Representatives or of any similar institution in another EU Member State 
         Members of the European Parliament
         Members of any disciplined force
         Local Council employers
         Those who are undischarged or declared bankrupt
         The interdicted or those incapacitated due to mental infirmity or determined to be of unsound mind
         Those serving a prison sentence that exceeds 12 months
         Members of the judiciary
         People who have been disqualified from membership of the European Council
For full details you can consult the Local Councils Act.
Can foreign EU citizens become mayors in Malta?
Can foreign EU citizens become members of the mayor’s executive committee (aldermen) in Malta?